Thursday 11 March 2010

Return from the land of the rings

Well, I'm back after an exhilariting 10 days driving around the North Island of beautiful NZ. It was a wonderful way to refuel after a gruelling start to 2010. It was inspiring to visit places where Lord of the Rings was imagined, even staying in a motel under a brooding volcano. Drove nearly to the top and could feel the action flying around! I find landscapes (especially the sea) inspire writing. Maybe that's one of the reasons I love reading Anita Shreve - her settings become a major character. I find it hard to better her Fortune's Rocks with its at times harsh seascape which unfolds with the storyline. I travel a lot, keeping a journal, and it is amazing how ideas pop up in inspirational places.

Good writing everyone!

2 comments:

joanne fox said...

I love Fortune's Rocks, probably my favourite Anita Shreve novel. You've reminded me it must be time I read it again...

Denise Covey said...

Fortune's Rocks is certainly wonderful. Certainly one of those novels that you can enjoy re reading.